Monday, November 12, 2012

The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky

Summary (Goodreads): "Standing on the fringes of life... offers a unique perspective. But there comes a time to see what it looks like from the dance floor.  

Since its publication, Stephen Chbosky's haunting novel about the dilemma of passivity vs. passion has received critical acclaim, provoked discussion and debate, and grown into a cult sensation with over one million copies in print.  

It is the story of what it's like to grow up in high school. More intimate than a diary, Charlie's letters are singular and unique, hilarious and devastating. We may not know where he lives. We may not know to whom he is writing. All we know is the world he shares. Caught between trying to live his life and trying to run from it puts him on a strange course through uncharted territory. The world of first dates, family dramas, and new friends. The world of sex, drugs, and The Rocky Horror Picture Show, where all you need is that perfect song on that perfect drive to feel infinite.  

Through Charlie, Chbosky has created a deeply affecting novel that will spirit you back to those wild and poignant roller coaster days known as growing up."

Okay so first one of the reasons it's taken me so long to get a blog post up. I wanted to review this book. I didn't know where to start though. I just didn't feel any immediate thoughts come into my head. So, a month later, I decided to write just that.

The Review:
First of all, I don't have a rating for this book. It just seemed wrong to give it a number. Just as it would seem wrong to give it the title of "the best book I've read." Perks (I'm too lazy to write out the whole name) is just there. It's not ratable, it's not nameable, it's just there.

The first thing I noticed about this book was how innocent Charlie was. All these very...teenagery (making up words here) things were going around him, but he still remained very innocent and a very good person.

The main thing I noticed (and this relates back to the first paragraph) was how real the book felt. It is written in the form of letters (and it's never really clear who these letters are sent too...), but it feels like you are looking into a journal. I think that's one of the reasons that it is just there.

My (and about another million people's) Favorite Quote:




No but seriously. You should read this book. I just can't describe how I like it (but I do if that wasn't clear in my review). Anyone else read it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love seeing them and I respond to every single one so check back often! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...