Thursday, January 10, 2013

Chosen by P.C. Cast and Kristen Cast

Synopsis (from Goodreads):

Dark forces are at work at the House of Night and fledgling vampyre Zoey Redbird’s adventures at the school take a mysterious turn.  Those who appear to be friends are turning out to be enemies.  And oddly enough, sworn enemies are also turning into friends.  So begins the gripping third installment of this “highly addictive series” (Romantic Times), in which Zoey’s mettle will be tested like never before.  Her best friend, Stevie Rae, is undead and struggling to maintain a grip on her humanity. Zoey doesn’t have a clue how to help her, but she does know that anything she and Stevie Rae discover must be kept secret from everyone else at the House of Night, where trust has become a rare commodity.  Speaking of rare: Zoey finds herself in the very unexpected and rare position of having three boyfriends. Mix a little bloodlust into the equation and the situation has the potential to spell social disaster.  Just when it seems things couldn’t get any tougher, vampyres start turning up dead. Really dead. It looks like the People of Faith, and Zoey’s horrid step-father in particular, are tired of living side-by-side with vampyres.  But, as Zoey and her friends so often find out, how things appear rarely reflects the truth…

Review:

I don't even know what to say about this book. It was just...bad. Most of the book was spent talking about what a ho Zoey was. Basically, every time she was with one of her lovers or she thought about them, she would be like, "I'm a ho." It got to the point where I was like, "Yes girl. You are a ho."

One of the things I really like about the "House of Night" series (I don't know if that's how you punctuate a title, but its what this source told me to do) is the very insecure, teenager voice given to Zoey. I still saw some of that in this book, but I also saw some of the almighty and powerful Zoey who thinks she is better than everyone else. I especially saw it in this sentence: "I strode off toward the food with them trailing after me like baby ducks" ("them" is referring to her friends). I actually had a post-it note in that spot. This is what it said:

"trailing like baby ducks"? Makes her sound really arrogant and powerful

One thing I did like about this book (well not exactly this particular book, it's more like the whole series so far) is the switching of evil characters. One person who you thought was completely evil is actually not all that bad and another person you though was a really good person is actually really, really evil. I find this very interesting.

All in all though, I might have to stop reading this series if they're going to be as crappy as this one was. Maybe I'll just take a break from them for a while.

Rating:


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on my blog! I love seeing them and I respond to every single one so check back often! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...